A Saturday at the Hogle Zoo
One of my favorite things growing up was going to the zoo with my aunt Mandy. It became sort of an annual tradition that I always looked forward to. I have such distinct memories of being the "map guy". That meant I was in charge of directions and choosing what exhibits we went to. I could probably draw my own map of the Milwaukee Zoo from memory at this point.
So when a few coworkers and I decided to check out the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, I was pretty excited. I hadn't been to a zoo in probably 5 years! The Hogle Zoo is only a short drive from my apartment too.
I met up with my coworkers at the entrance and we took off exploring. It was honestly the perfect day. Temperatures were in the 70s with no wind, and the sun was shining bright. Even though the parking lot was packed it did not feel that congested in the zoo. Here are some highlights from the day:
- Seeing huge animals like Rhinos and Elephants always blow my mind
- Polar bears are GIANT. The bear swam right by the plexiglass separating us from him, and my goodness was he huge.
- There was a baby monkey and it was the cutest thing ever.
- One seal just kept doing loops in the water. He would torpedo along upside down. It was pretty comical.
- The Hogle Zoo has a good amount of animals that it has rescued which is pretty cool that the animals are now living better lives thanks to the zoo.
- There was an animal that came from a zoo in Madison, Wisconsin for breeding. It was random to see my home state show up on a sign.
I totally wish I got more pictures to share with you guys for the blog, but honestly you should just go and check out the zoo yourself! It is a great activity for the day that I always enjoy.